Friday 6 May 2016

I think British politics has changed forever

To keep you up to date on the betting on Britain's EU referendum, the odds have shifted slightly in favour of leaving, but they still represent a 64% vote to remain. The average odds are 9/4 to leave and 1/3 to remain. If the betting is a reflection of voting intentions then the leave campaign have an obstacle to climb that appears to be quite insurmountable. However, Leicester City have just won the English Premier League from odds of 5,000/1 so we shall await the referendum with interest. From a personal point of view, I find it difficult to reconcile the bookmakers odds with my own observations. I feel that the Leave campaign are leading public opinion quite significantly, but I am loathe to dismiss the betting odds as my experience tells me that the bookies are rarely wrong. There is no doubt however that the British electorate are getting more right wing and xenophobic. It is a source of despair and great shame that the Tories have made significant  gains in the Scottish Parliament elections though they were mostly at the expense of Scottish Labour who deserved all they got. However a surge in Toryism is a genuinely worrying development as our recent history suggests that the Scots are too decent and intelligent to vote for those people. It is to be hoped that it is a temporary phenomenon.

A great deal of noise is always made by unionists when the SNP bring up the subject of a possible referendum on Scottish Independence if the rest of the UK vote to leave the EU. We are constantly being reminded that the SNP leadership stressed that the Scottish Referendum would be a 'once in a generation' chance to vote for independence. It goes without saying that the SNP leadership do not speak for the Scottish people, of which I am one, and I am at a loss as to why the SNP do not promote the argument that I make and that seems to me blindingly obvious. From my perspective, the commitment that the referendum was a once in a generation event was predicated on the fact that the Westminster pigsty parties were being honest and would keep their word. If I pledge that my support will be committed to a respect for the democratic majority, then that democratic majority will itself have to be founded on a commitment to fairness and honesty, I will not respect mendacity and betrayal. As I write this, the Scottish Labour Party have been hammered in the Scottish Parliament elections held this week, have been abandoned by their core support in Scotland and this is the result of its betrayal of the Scottish people during and after the referendum. We were comprehensively lied to and betrayed, and Labour are paying the price. They deserve their fate. The Tories were even worse with the Prime Minister appearing on the steps of Ten Downing Street one hour after the referendum result breaking all of the promises he made during the campaign. As a result, I do not feel obliged to support my pledge to wait for another generation to remove myself from a union that is based on lies, damned lies and betrayal, simples! In the aftermath of the referendum, the residents of the pigsty revealed themselves for the pathological and unprincipled liars that they are, and that embraced all the pigsty parties. If anyone wonders why Labour is in such a state of decline in Scotland, look no further than their behaviour during and since the Scottish Referendum.

Politics in Scotland are quite different from the rest of the UK and I will state quite confidently that there is no such thing as a British political system any more. Labour's demise has little to do with the fortunes of the national party and it is now beyond any doubt in my mind that Scottish Labour will have to declare its independence from the Westminster Party if they are, not only to recover, but to survive. Labour are too identified with Iraq, Mad Tony, austerity and their collaboration with the Tories during the referendum. They are seriously damaged in Scotland by the lies and betrayal of Daphne Broon and Alistair Darling and the catastrophic leadership of  Jim the Murphy. I believe that Labour will recover in Scotland, but as I have written here before they will have to literally reinvent themselves. You have been warned

Your Servant
Doktor Kommirat

No comments:

Post a Comment