Monday 9 May 2016

What should I vote in the EU Referendum? Well lets see!

A friend came to visit me yesterday to ask my advice for the upcoming European referendum. I never tell other people how to vote, so I told him I would ask him a question. As he is a very keen football supporter I asked him what the ultimate goal his team has at the start of every season. He told me that it was to win the league. Why is that important? Because they will qualify for Europe he said. That is what every British football fan dreams of, getting into Europe. Their domestic championship is important but fades into insignificance beside the real prize, European football and the money and status that comes with it. That example may seem rather trivial and appear politically irrelevant but I asked him that because much was made by the commentators whilst I was watching Man. City playing Arsenal about the importance for both teams finishing in a position that would give them entrance to next years Champions League and the disaster for each if they failed. Thus, whether they are aware of it or not, the supporters of our elite teams in football are all desperate to get into Europe via the Champions League because that is where the money is, and of course the glory and status. Without Europe they will fade into international irrelevance and relative poverty. I wonder if that may just be an allegorical example?
I asked him a number of other questions, such as, what kind of society did he wish to live in? Without going into detail, I asked him if he thought Britain could be a just and equal society, a tolerant society, under people like Michael Gove, Boris the Spider, Iain Duncan Eichmann and Nigel Garbage? These people, I reminded him are the people piloting the Trades Union Bill through Parliament, negotiating TTIP, and who never bother to hide their loathing for working class people, but particularly working class Scots. I then showed him a leader article from the Guardian which stated that

"The trade union bill, which the government advertised as its flagship at the start of the parliamentary session that ends next week, has been heavily amended. But it is still a nasty, vindictive piece of legislation. There is no justification for it beyond a partisan desire to weaken trade unions, and indirectly to weaken the Labour party, to the point where it becomes almost impossible for workers to defend their rights".

I then reminded him that I have been telling him for the past twenty years that the neoliberal elite, those that are most keen to leave the EU, are determined to reduce working people to the status of modern day slaves. He now has the Guardian telling him what I have been warning about for two decades. You used to smile when I told you that I said, but you're not smiling now, why not? Are you beginning to think I may just have been correct? So, I asked him, do you want to live in a country that has opted out of the various Charters of Human Rights, that denies climate change, that continues to build and finance nuclear weapons, that demonises working people, their trades unions, the disabled, people on benefits, and in the case of Nigel Garbage, promises to repeal the Scotland Act and abolish the Scottish Parliament, etc. etc. I finished my chat with my friend by returning to football and telling him to look up the Hillsborough disaster because without the Human Rights Act and the European Court of Human Rights, the inquest that found that the Liverpool supporters were unlawfully killed would never have happened. Article 2 of the ECHR (the right to life) has meant it is no longer enough for an inquest to decide the means by which a person died; the circumstances in which the death occurred must also be determined. Michael Mansfield QC who represented many of the Hillsborough families noted that “one of the unusual features of these inquests has been the way the friends and relatives of the deceased have been accorded a central status” – a requirement of the European Court of Human Rights. Why do these Brexit people want to leave Europe? in order to destroy whatever remains of our human rights and deny justice, that's why. To complete the enslavement of working people. They want cover ups such as Hillsborough to succeed and they want to demonise the working people who go to football. If that is the kind of country you want to live in, then your choice is obvious when you go to vote I told him, and like him, you have been warned.

Your Servant
Doktor Kommirat

No comments:

Post a Comment