Monday 18 January 2016

I hope Trump wins the Republican nomination

I am writing this on the day that the British Parliament is debating whether Donald Trump should be banned from this country. This debate is in response to a petition of over half a million signatures demanding that he be banned from Britain over his outrageous and inflammatory remarks, particularly with respect to Muslims, made during his attempt to gain the Republican nomination. I trust that readers of this blog will anticipate my complete disagreement with any attempt to ban this person regardless of how odious he is. We must always heed the maxim (often incorrectly attributed to Voltaire) "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". It is vital that in this volatile and poisonous political climate today that we do not lose sight of the fundamentals, the necessary minimums that protect our safety and our human rights.

What alarms me most about Donald Trump is his popularity. He is a truly dangerous man who is quite evidently not very clever and it is a cause for concern that he is not a figure of ridicule in the United States. Rather than ban Donald Trump from this country, I would prevent him from conducting any business here. I would remove his licences for his various operations. He is welcome as a visitor and a tourist, but certainly not as an employer or as a fit and proper person to engage in business activities, unless and until, he dissociates himself from his remarks and gives assurances that such sentiments will not impact on British citizens.

I for one hope that he wins the Republican nomination as I refuse to believe that rational America will even countenance his candidacy and that the Republicans will suffer the largest presidential defeat in history. The Republican Party needs to be, not only beaten, but beaten so comprehensively that they are forced to have a root and branch analysis of their current political and ideological situation. I have watched America carefully recently and have watched numerous programmes including interviews with the Ku Klux Klan. I am convinced that a substantial number of Americans would vote for Adolf Hitler is they got the chance. It genuinely beggars my belief that anyone could vote for Donald Trump, but that is obviously what is going to happen. In my opinion this man has a very slim grasp of politics and even less of economics. His success in business is most certainly not testimony to a grasp of economics before anyone rushes to tell me how successful he is. Al Capone and Meyer Lansky were very successful but I doubt if they had any grasp of economic principles whatsoever. It is one thing to run a company and quite another to run a nation state.

I have no wish to appear critical of the United States because you know that I consider what they do to be their own business. What concerns me is the impact that people like Trump have on the world and in particular on the United Kingdom. His presence on the political scene has provoked a reaction in Britain that has produced a threat to freedom of speech. In addition, he gives succour to Britain's own Klansmen in the Tory Party. As you know, we have a government minister whom I regard as Britain's Adolf Eichman, and a Prime Minister who wants to deport Muslim women who cannot speak English. The Tories are not yet on the same scale as some Republicans, but they are getting closer. This Prime Minister is a man who thinks that single parents need parenting classes, but is the same man who, with his wife, went home from their local pub without their daughter. Anyone else would have been visited by social services. You have been warned.

Your Servant 
Doktor Kommirat     

No comments:

Post a Comment