Tuesday 2 June 2015

Charles Kennedy

This is just a short post to pay homage to Charles Kennedy. Charles was a very good friend of mine at university and we were debating partners for a time. He was Convener of debates at Glasgow Univ. when I was Convener of debates at Strathclyde and I was a frequent guest speaker at Glasgow thanks to Charles. We were also colleagues in the Social Democratic Party after he was elected to Parliament and sat on the Scottish Executive Committee together. The only time I have been in the Westminster Parliament was as a guest of Charles. He was a good man.

Charles was quite genuinely one of those rare people who was just what you expected. He was open and genuine, he was an actual gentleman. I haven't seen Charles for many years but I remember him fondly. I am persistently contemptuous of Westminster politicians as anyone who reads this blog will know, but I exclude Charles from my withering contempt. He was a generous man in word, deed and spirit and he will be sorely missed by many people. I was glad to be his friend.

Your Servant
Doktor Kommirat.

No comments:

Post a Comment