Monday 27 March 2017

I fear the UK is finished

I apologise for not posting for a week but I have been away visiting family and was unavailable. I have been warning you for these past years about how the Tories agenda is the establishment of an authoritarian society, bordering on the totalitarian, leaving Britain in essence a one-party state. This creeping authoritarianism permeates everything they do and underpins all their policy-making. I give you two pieces from today's news, one from the Independent and one from the Guardian. The Independent told us today that

"The Ministry of Defence’s former cyber security chief has accused the Government of trying to "use" the devastating Westminster attack to grab unnecessary and intrusive surveillance powers.
Major General Jonathan Shaw said ministers were attempting to "use the moment" to push for security services having more control, despite there being only a weak case for it".

whilst the Guardian told us that

"The white paper due on Thursday will set out how the government intends to repeal the 1972 European Communities Act and transplant laws that have force because of the UK’s membership of the EU into domestic law. It is expected that this will involve extensive use of “Henry VIII powers” – laws allowing ministers to change primary legislation (government bills) using secondary legislation (orders that go through parliament with little or no scrutiny)".

With reference to the second piece, I have been keeping you up to date on how the Tories have been bending all their efforts to bypassing Parliament in almost everything they do and denying our elected representatives meaningful debate and input into the process governing our exit from the European Union. They have triggered Article 50 that begins the process and have still to formally inform the devolved parliaments of Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland that they are doing it. Britain's major political flaws lie the absence of a meaningful constitution to hold the executive to account and a seriously flawed electoral system. As I have said before, the British political system depends heavily on trust, that the powerful respect, not only the rights of the people, but also the law, because there are no mechanisms in this country to prevent governments doing exactly as they please, especially in the absence of a genuinely representative press, and the Tories are determined to do exactly as they please.

People in other parts of the world seem to have this completely unreal view of Britain that was portrayed by Roger Miller in his song 'England Swings'. I have just spent the past week in England and I can assure you that there are no bobbies on bicycles any more and Westminster Abbey and the Tower of Big Ben are more and more resembling the Reich Chancellery than a democratic society. I trust you will believe me when I tell you that I had a very interesting discussion in my hotel for over two hours with a very nice and charming, but very bourgeois, couple from Oxford. This couple were successful business people and displayed an ignorance of the real world that was worrying. What emerged was the lack of relevant information that they were getting from the media. They considered themselves informed, but showed a quite graphic ignorance about Scotland and Northern Ireland. Now, I freely admit, this was only one couple, but, as I said, they considered themselves well informed and spent most of the conversation saying "really?" to what I was telling them, and assuring me that they were getting no news about things like that where they lived, either in the press or the media. The British establishment appear to be directing the information flow in England to present the Scottish and Northern Irish dimension in their own terms. For example, the Sun newspaper is very anti-Europe, anti-Scots and anti-immigrant, whilst its Scottish edition is pro-independence. It is in essence two different papers. It is to the credit of people from Liverpool that they refuse to buy this disgusting rag.

Britain is becoming more divisive by the day and both the Tories and their lackeys in the press are stoking an ever greater climate of hatred and fear. I will keep you up to date as I can, but ask you to follow events rather than take my word for it. If you think I am misleading you, then please tell me. I value your input. This post has been quite general but I fear the United Kingdom is in its death throes as it no longer deserves to survive in its present form. It has passed it's sell by date. Who's fault is it? The Blessed Margaret of course. You have been warned.

Your Servant
Doktor Kommirat

No comments:

Post a Comment