Friday 31 March 2017

I detect a frisson of schadenfreude

I must confess that I am guilty of adopting an attitude that I normally condemn in other people. I am considering if my attitudes are unworthy, because I am intellectually quite excited about the prospects of Brexit for all the wrong reasons. I have been trying to fight it,  but I am afraid I have been experiencing  the negative satisfaction of shadenfreude, a condition I normally disapprove of. My reason for this is my conviction that the people who live and vote in England and Wales (I will call them the English for convenience) are going to suffer quite serious disruption and hardship, which I'm afraid will be quite necessary, before they are able to accept the consequences of their own stupidity and shortsightedness. They will have to have their noses rubbed in their own mess before they waken up to realise that the situation they find themselves in was not the result of the EU, Muslims, immigrants, foreigners, the disabled and people on benefits, but the result of their own making, as they discover that, rather than leaving the EU bringing universal prosperity, happiness and unbridled self-determination, they are in reality facing a disaster for which there are no longer any excuses nor scapegoats. As I continually tell you, you get what you vote for.

Now, I may of course be completely wrong, but I cannot see any positive future resulting from a situation that has been the result of a campaign by the most vile people in the nation spouting the most vile form of propaganda and lies. The worst part about it is that now that the whole Brexit campaign has been exposed as one huge lie, and patently obvious that the people who led that campaign have not the foggiest idea what to do next, the English seem quite happy to find themselves the victim of one of the greatest projects in the art of blatant mendacity since the Second World War. Thus, I can only conclude that they wanted to be lied to and are quite indifferent to the fact that they voted for an illusion. They will now reap what they have sown and I find it quite impossible to have any sympathy with them. I have carefully followed as many interviews conducted around the country with people who voted to leave the EU as I can, and I find it quite astonishing that mature adults can spout such arrant nonsense. I have repeatedly listened to mature adults who still spout the lie that we have been dictated to by faceless and unelected bureaucrats for the past 45 years. All legislation that emerges from the EU is the result of the deliberations of two elected chambers, the Council of Ministers, and the European Parliament, and Britain is represented on both. It never ceases to amaze me that such people never take into account that British legislation must gain the approval of the House Of Lords, the largest unelected and unrepresentative forum in the world. In addition, an average of 24 of these persons serve in some capacity in British Government at any one time.

As a result of my guilt over my experience of schadenfreude, I engaged in a little research and discovered that the London School of Economics had published the fact that in the fifteen years between 1999 and March 2016, the British had been outvoted in the Council of Ministers 57 times. They had abstained 70 times, and had voted with the rest of the Council 2,474 times. Thus, the LSE has concluded that the British voted in favour of 95% the EU's legislative proposals. Now I told you I was speaking to a very nice English couple last week who were quite successful business people and I asked the gentleman if he agreed with 95% of the decisions made within his company that affected him and his clients. Of course not he laughed, but you wouldn't expect to, it doesn't work like that. So why would you bridle when your nation has a higher success rate than you reasonable would expect I asked him? He took the point. But that is the way with the British, they expect to get their own way all of the time.

Another fact I would share with you relates to how we have been constantly told that the EU is a huge bloated bureaucracy that siphons up a large portion of its finance. The Office of National Statistics records that in March 2016, the EU civil service numbered 42,500 people. The British civil service numbered 418,343. We therefore have 42,500 civil servants catering to the needs of 508 million people, whilst in Britain we have 418,343 to cater to the needs of 65,112,000. I definitely must be missing something. But as they say, why spoil a good narrative with facts. I leave you with the thought that there are lies, damned lies, and Tories. The consequences of their hubris is looming. You have been warned.

Your Servant
Doktor Kommirat

No comments:

Post a Comment