Friday 10 January 2014

Tony Blair Mark 2?

In the early 1990's I identified a young ambitious Labour MP, Tony Blair, as a dangerous threat. I found him sinister and completely superficial with respect to any form of substance, other than ambition and a will to do whatever was necessary to get his way. When John Smith died, I was alarmed when Blair emerged as a genuine successor to the leadership of the Labour Party. Though I have never been a Labour supporter or voter, I recognised that if this person became leader of Labour he would almost certainly become a Prime Minister. Because of that I wrote to several leading Labour MPs outlining my fears about Blair and wrote to newspapers. I knew it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference, but I could not stay silent. As Edmund Burke wrote, 'all it requires for evil to prosper is for good people to do nothing.'

Now, I don't claim to be a good person, but I hope I will never be accused of doing nothing. Why am I writing this? because, I am afraid I am watching the rise of Blair mark 2. I have been watching the emergence of the young ambitious Labour MP Chuka Ummana, and I'm afraid I consider this person another quite sinister and unprincipled threat. I sincerely hope I am wrong because one Blair in anyone's lifetime is one too many, but I will be watching this young man's career with interest.

Your Servant
Doktor Kommirat

3 comments:

  1. I am an Advanced Higher Modern Studies student writing a dissertation on the subject of social class in relation to crime. I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on Merton’s strain theory being a possible cause of crime, as well as your opinion of different perspectives - such as Marxism and Interactionism - and their views on crime and deviance in terms of social class. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Aimee

    I thank you for your email and for your interest, and I would be delighted to help you if I can. If you will send me an email address I will reply to you, as this site is public and any correspondence we had would be available to whoever wished to see it.

    Yours
    Doktor Kommirat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Aimee, I forgot to tell you to email me at doktorkommirat@gmail.com

      Delete